Electronic-Music Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electronic-Music Discussion Board

A place where you can discuss new music and new artists. In particular Electronica, IDM, DnB, Techno, Electro , Hip-Hop and Dubstep.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Ulrich Shnauss - A Musical Genius!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Keith

Keith

Ulrich Shnauss - A Musical Genius! Empty
PostSubject: Ulrich Shnauss - A Musical Genius!   Ulrich Shnauss - A Musical Genius! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 3:56 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ulrich's musical output began under the pseudonyms of View to the Future and Ethereal 77. These electronica and drum-driven pieces were noticed by Berlin electronica label CCO (City Centre Offices), to which Schnauss sent CD's on a regular basis. Ulrich developed these submissions to CCO into his first album under his own name, Far Away Trains Passing By, released in Europe in 2001, and in the United States in 2005.

Ulrich Schnauss performing at Bestival, 2008
His next album, 2003's A Strangely Isolated Place, showed the influence of My Bloody Valentine's Kevin Shields and Cocteau Twins' Robin Guthrie. Schnauss has said of this album, "When you've worked with computers and keyboards for a number of years, they become not so fascinating of themselves anymore. I gained confidence after people began to discover Far Away Trains Passing By, and it hasn't really stopped since then. This time I decided not to compromise on what I wanted to do, with what I thought people might want me to do."[1]
Since the release of both albums Ulrich has been asked to work with and remix with artists, including Port-Royal, Mojave 3, Televise, Long-view, Johannes Schmoelling, The Zephyrs, Lunz (Rodelius), and others.
He also plays keyboards for UK indie band Long-view, whose singer Rob McVey was featured on Ulrich's latest album Goodbye. In an interview he said: " I have always loved music that has both elements: melancholy and sadness as a description of the current situation you are in, but at the same time a hopeful, utopian element that reminds you of the possibility of a different life." [2]
His third album, Goodbye, was completed in early 2007. It was released in Europe by Independiente Records on June 25, 2007. The United States release followed on July 10 under Domino Records. Regarding this album, he said: "The overall idea was pretty much the same. I just wanted to merge the indie songwriting elements and electronic instrumentation. After the previous album I still had a feeling like there was more room to take these ideas to an extreme level when it comes to layering and laying down as many tracks as possible." [3]
On June 12, 2007, Ulrich released an EP named "Quicksand Memory." It contains two remixes by Robin Guthrie of previous releases, a mix by Rob McVey of a previously unreleased track, and an edit of a track appearing on his latest album.