Electronic-Music Discussion Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electronic-Music Discussion Board

A place where you can discuss new music and new artists. In particular Electronica, IDM, DnB, Techno, Electro , Hip-Hop and Dubstep.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

King Cannibal - Let the Night Roar

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
A.i.

A.i.

King Cannibal - Let the Night Roar Empty
PostSubject: King Cannibal - Let the Night Roar   King Cannibal - Let the Night Roar I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 5:29 pm

King Cannibal - Let the Night Roar 61iKZk-pD9L

There’s a certain exhilaration to the best grime rhythms that, mixed with the right atmosphere, serves as a statement of purpose. On the one hand, there’s an artist like Distance, whose beats are sharp but skeletal, drenched in a minimalist noir attitude that holds the listener at a (ahem) distance. The music doesn’t engage, though that’s part of its charm. On the flip-side lie Milanese or Vex’d, whose rhythms are heavy, but seemingly intent on embodying domination, almost setting themselves up in opposition to the listener: "Can you take it?" Again, that can still produce great results.

The most effective, though, are those songs that feel like an invitation to come along and do some damage together, a call to arms in many ways much like protest music. It’s fitting that it’s the combination of industrial sonics and dancehall rhythms, then, that make some of the songs on Let the Night Roar so exhilarating. Like an attack on the sci-fi present, Dylan Richards, a.k.a. King Cannibal, hits with an extremely strong debut LP.

Smartly sequenced, the strongest cuts bookend the album. After a brief introductory snippet, "Aragami Style" smolders for a deceptive 30 seconds before it comes in with growling bass synths and beautifully dark, heavy beats. Despite a couple of eerie, droning breaks, it doesn’t let up or chicken out. The closer, "Flower of Flesh and Blood", lays down fast, complex percussion over a heavy, slapping rhythm and low-end synths that push constantly forward.

Most of the tracks are instrumentals, but thankfully those that aren’t don’t make the common mistake of sacrificing the music for the sake of the MC. "Virgo", featuring Face-A-Face, is the most traditional dancehall song, with frenetic chanting over clip-clopping beats and thick electronic blasts. On "Dirt," things get really fierce as Daddy Freddy’s shouting nearly explodes amidst bass synth bursts and skittering percussion.

Oddly, the single "So... Embrace the Minimum" is perhaps the least distinctive of the album’s songs. While nicely done, it’s clearly of a lighter weight, classic down-tempo dubstep. It’s perfectly fine, and may appeal to a wider audience, but it lacks the depth and the driving energy that imbues most of Night’s songs with their power. Even those that emphasize the atmosphere more than the rhythm usually don’t hold back, whether it be the occasional vocal sample or chilled factory-floor ambience.

With this debut album, Richards has indeed dropped a call to arms. Let the Night Roar bursts with highly-charged songs that rank up there with The Bug’s London Zoo as some of the best industrial dub on offer.

King Cannibal - Let the Night Roar 6732_101522126529571_100000153533553_44797_936217_n
Back to top Go down
GeorG

GeorG

PostSubject: Re: King Cannibal - Let the Night Roar   King Cannibal - Let the Night Roar I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 7:40 pm

Very Happy:D:D:D:D:D:D
Back to top Go down
synthact

PostSubject: Re: King Cannibal - Let the Night Roar   King Cannibal - Let the Night Roar I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 11:48 pm

tajjeb ta vera dak l album
Back to top Go down
eM
Admin
eM

PostSubject: Re: King Cannibal - Let the Night Roar   King Cannibal - Let the Night Roar I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 11:49 pm

jwerrec lostja Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
https://em-discussion.forumotion.com
Sonitus
Admin
Sonitus

PostSubject: Re: King Cannibal - Let the Night Roar   King Cannibal - Let the Night Roar I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 11:50 pm

tkellem is sexytime fl ahhar elephant
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/mayweaskyouallforsilence
eM
Admin
eM

PostSubject: Re: King Cannibal - Let the Night Roar   King Cannibal - Let the Night Roar I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 11:52 pm

lol
Back to top Go down
https://em-discussion.forumotion.com
A.i.

A.i.

PostSubject: Re: King Cannibal - Let the Night Roar   King Cannibal - Let the Night Roar I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 12:25 am

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
synthact

PostSubject: Re: King Cannibal - Let the Night Roar   King Cannibal - Let the Night Roar I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 1:53 pm

ma kellix cans meli :PPPPP
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: King Cannibal - Let the Night Roar   King Cannibal - Let the Night Roar I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

King Cannibal - Let the Night Roar
Page 1 of 1